About This Dvd. Buy Dvd War Dvds Advertise Search Site
Black Book (2006)
D V D
We are based in South London near Croydon, UK, and if preferred this item can be picked up by appointment. Just e-mail here. I also welcome the old fashioned cheque and po as it is cheaper to process and all orders are sent off same day as cheque received.
- Release Date: 30-04-2007
- Format: DVD
- Number of Discs: 1
- Catalogue Number: TVD3726
- Label: TartanVideo
- Dutch filmmaker Paul Verhoeven made his name in Hollywood with films such as ROBOCOP, BASIC INSTINCT, and STARSHIP TROOPERS. But Verhoeven got his start in the industry by making films (the acclaimed SPETTERS and SOLDIER OF ORANGE among them) in his native country, and it's to Holland that he returns for BLACK BOOK--his first Dutch film in 20 years. The story is set during the final days of World War II in Holland, and follows a Jewish singer named Rachel Stein (Carice Van Houten). Rachel attempts to avoid the Nazis and remains in quiet hiding until her family is brutally slain, causing her to join up with a resistance movement. On a subsequent undercover mission, Rachel crosses paths with a smitten German general named Ludwig Muntze (Sebastian Koch), with whom Rachel begins a relationship in order to feed vital information back to her colleagues in the resistance. But as the action and bloodshed escalate, Rachel realises that she has genuine feelings for Muntze, and soon she is in enormous danger. Verhoeven's film is wildly ambitious and takes many intriguing twists and turns during its 146 minutes. BLACK BOOK commanded the largest budget of any film to be produced in Holland, and it shows. Explosions litter the screen, plenty of car chases ensue, and wince-inducing injuries and deaths propel the action. The director isn't afraid to criticise his fellow countrymen and inserts a fascinating subtext about the actions of the resistance fighters, asking some uncomfortable questions about the similarities between their behavior and that of the Nazis. Van Houten lights up the screen throughout and is surely destined for bigger things, and while the tumultuous experiences her character undergoes might push the boundaries of reality at times, Verhoeven has pointed out in interviews that Rachel is a composite character who encompasses the merged experiences of many real people from the era.
Exclusive Interview With Director Paul Verhoven
Exclusive Interview With Carice Van Houten
The Making Of Black Book - Featurette
Original Theatrical Trailer
Widescreen 1.85:1 Anamorphic
Dolby Digital 5.1 / Dolby Digital DTS 5.1 / Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Languages - Dutch, German, English (Mixture Of All 3 On The Same Dialogue Track)
Subtitles - English
Region 2 / PAL / Colour
Running Time 145 Minutes
- You can review this film and Dvd release by clicking here and your review will be placed here within 24 hours.
- Price: £6.99 (UK Sterling)
(Shipped from UK) (Price includes UK postage & packaging. Outside UK please e-mail here with country ordering from for postage quote)
Payment can also be made to Lenin Imports by cheque, po, money order, international money order, cash by registered mail. Please enclose title of item ordering and return address.
5 High Street
- Also available: amazon.co.uk
Currently in Stock. About Dvd Buy Dvd War Dvds Search Site
Top of Page
© Lenin Imports