About This Dvd. Buy Dvd War Dvds Advertise Search Site
D V D
We are based in South London near Croydon, UK, and if preferred this item can be picked up by appointment. Just e-mail here. I also welcome the old fashioned cheque and po as it is cheaper to process and all orders are sent off same day as cheque received.
- Actors: Jake Gyllenhaal, Wade Williams, Matthew Atherton, Jamie Foxx, Peter Sarsgaard
- Director: Sam Mendes
- Format: PAL
- Language: English
- Region: Region 2 (UK & Europe)
- Number of discs: 1
- Classification: 15
- Studio: Universal Pictures Video
- DVD Release Date: 15 May 2006
- Run Time: 118 minutes
- Based on former Marine Anthony Swofford's best-selling 2003 book about his pre-Desert Storm experiences in Saudi Arabia and about his experiences fighting in Kuwait. Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom... Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.
- Jarhead takes the unique stance of being an anti-war war movie. Jake Gyllenhall plays Anthony Swofford (who's book the movie is based on), a reluctant enlistee into the United States army, posted to Iraq as part of operation Desert Storm. Desert Storm, however, quickly turns out to be desert bore - with Swofford and his troop struggling to deal with the sheer monotony of life in the desert, never even encountering their enemy. Smuggled booze, faulty equipment and American football become valuable allies in staving off the tedium of their adopted environment.
Director Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road to Perdition) is more than comfortable in portraying amoral despair, with Jarhead's lack of direction or any discernable climax a deliberate statement on the reality of modern warfare.
Gyllenhall is as captivating as ever in this performance, with able support from Peter Sarsgaard as his sniping "buddy" and Jamie Foxx as their uncompromising staff sergeant. All the performances, however, are in danger of being eclipsed by some truly inspired, spectacular photography, combined with a terrific soundtrack.
Audio Commentary By Director Sam Mendes
Audio Commentary By Screenwriter William Broyles, Jr. And Author Anthony Swofford
'Swoff's Fantasies' - With Optional Audio Commentary By Director Sam Mendes And Editor Walter Murch
News Interviews In Full - With Optional Audio Commentary By Director Sam Mendes And Editor Walter Murch
11 Deleted Scenes - With Optional Audio Commentary By Director Sam Mendes And Editor Walter Murch
Widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic
Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles - English
- You can review this film and Dvd release by clicking here and your review will be placed here within 24 hours.
- Price: £5.99 (UK Sterling)
(Shipped from UK) (Price includes UK postage & packaging. Outside UK please e-mail here with country ordering from for postage quote)
Payment can also be made to Lenin Imports by cheque, po, money order, international money order, cash by registered mail. Please enclose title of item ordering and return address.
5 High Street
- Also available: amazon.co.uk
Currently in Stock. About Dvd Buy Dvd War Dvds Search Site
Top of Page
© Lenin Imports