The Colditz Story
About This Item. Buy Item Film Details John Mills Eric Portman Colditz BBC Collection (1972) War Dvds Index Search Site
The War Collection UK Dvd (1955)
J O H N M I L L S
We are based in South London near Croydon and if preferred this item can be picked up by appointment. Just e-mail here.
Single Disc 
- Format: PAL
- Language: English
- Region: Region 2 (UK & Europe)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Classification: U
- Studio: Optimum Home Releasing
- DVD Release Date: 29 Jan 2007
- Run Time: 94 minutes
‘Easily one of the best prisoner-of-war films to come from any British studio' ~ PAUL PAGE
1955, 94 MINS, BW, UK
- The Colditz Story is a taut, real-life belter of a picture, based on the personal experiences of the author, Pat Reid.
Colditz Castle, in the heart of Saxony, was the fortress to which the German High Command sent officers who had attempted to escape from conventional prison camps. They regarded it as impregnable although they threatened the death penalty for anyone attempting to break-out.
Film has loads of suspensful situations mixed with good-natured humour to strike an excellent balance between the grim and the natural. The all-male cast keeps the story rolling at a lively pace and its one of those films where the hour and a half just flies by.
Star of the cast for me is Eric Portman, who gives a distinguished performance as the British colonel. Not surprising really, for Portman outperformed everyone in all of his films! Mills plays Pat Reid.
- Colditz was thought by the Nazis to be impossible to escape from so in WW2 they made the somewhat rash decision to house there together all the most frequent escapees from amongst the Allied POWs – their story is immortalised in The Colditz Story. Based on the novel by Nicholas Monserrat.
- An outstanding and factual World War II drama about Allied POWs held in Germany's most secure wartime prison, The Colditz Story is based on the best selling memorirs of Colditz Castle escapee Major Pat Reid.
- John Mills excels in the central role - ably supported by a distinguished turn from Eric Portman as Colonel Richmond - in a taut, authentic and gripping yarn from future Bond Director Guy Hamilton. Easily one of the best prisoner-of-war yarns to come from any British studio, the film is leavened in good-natured humour to strike an excellent balance between the grim and the natural.
- Ages of the stars at the time of the making of the film:
JOHN MILLS, 46
ERIC PORTMAN, 53
LIONEL JEFFRIES, 28
- Filming locations included:
Official UK release. OPTD0665.
 Widescreen 1.85:1
 Dolby Digital Mono
 Languages - English
 Region 2 / PAL / Black & White
 Running Time 93 Minutes
- If you would like to review the movie and/or the Dvd please
e-mail here and I will add it.
£9.99 (UK Sterling) (UK / Europe / Australia Postage Inclusive)
This Dvd probaly won't work on Dvd players from outside the countries listed above. If you are outside these countries please e-mail before ordering to confirm that you know you can play this Dvd.
Payment can also be made to Lenin Imports by cheque, po, money order, cash by registered mail. Please enclose title of item ordering and return address.
5 High Street
E-mail to reserve this item if paying by cheque.
British War UK Dvds Index
Currently in Stock. Buy Item Film Details John Mills Eric Portman Colditz BBC (1972) War Dvds Index Search Site
Top of Page
© Lenin Imports